Joe Himon Wins 2021 Landers Award
Joe Himon, senior running back for Little Rock’s Pulaski Academy Bruins, is the 22nd winner of the Landers Award. The Landers Auto Group, KATV Sports Director Steve Sullivan, KATV Sports Reporter Kyle Deckelbaum and 2007 Landers Award nominee and former Razorback Jarius Wright announced Himon as the winner during a special 30-minute live broadcast on Jan. 11 on KATV Channel 7. Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, the Landers Award was broadcast remotely for the second year with Himon, his coach Anthony Lucas and the other nominees joining virtually.
Himon, a two-time Landers Award nominee who led his team to its third state championship, received a trophy and a signature Jostens ring. Pulaski Academy will also receive a $5,000 scholarship in his honor.
The other 2021 nominees are:
- Sharmon Rester of El Dorado
- Charlie Fiser of Pulaski Academy, Little Rock
- Manny Smith of Conway
- Dede Johnson of Searcy
- Isaiah Sategna of Fayetteville
- Jaishon Davis of Arkadelphia
- Austin Myers of Vilonia
- Braden Jay of Cabot
- Bladen Fike of Fayetteville
Himon is the third Landers Award winner from Pulaski Academy. Click here to view his nomination package.
In addition to the Landers Award, Landers and KATV present two other awards each year:
- The Paul Eels Award honors a player who “exhibits perseverance, determination, courage and resolve in the face of adversity,” and is named in honor of the legendary Channel 7 sportscaster. This year’s winner is Beau Wright, linebacker and two-year starter for Benton High School.
- The second Scott Landers Award was presented to E’Marion Harris of Joe T. Robinson High School for his grit and tenacity. Scott Landers, managing partner of Landers Auto Group until his death in January 2020, was a high school football stand-out during his time at Pulaski Academy. Harris received a $5,000 scholarship in Scott’s honor as this year’s winner.
Commonly known as the “Heisman of Arkansas High School Football,” the Landers Award has been celebrating top high school football players throughout the state since 2000. Each week for 13 weeks during football season, KATV’s sports staff chooses a Landers Player of the Week. Arkansas reporters and broadcasters then vote on which of the players will be named the winner.
Himon joins a stellar group of winners, who went on to play college ball and several who played in the NFL:
2000: De’Arrius Howard of West Memphis
2001: Reid McKinney of Warren
2002: Landon Leach of Russellville
2003: Peyton Hillis of Conway
2004: Darren McFadden of Oak Grove, North Little Rock
2005: Damian Williams of Springdale
2006: A.J. Whitmore of Nashville
2007: Tyler Wilson of Greenwood
2008: Spencer Keith of Pulaski Academy, Little Rock
2009: Michael Dyer of Little Rock Christian Academy
2010: Brandon Allen of Fayetteville
2011: Fredi Knighten of Pulaski Academy, Little Rock
2012: Drew Morgan of Greenwood
2013: Zach Launius of Cabot
2014: Ty Storey of Charleston
2015: LaDarius Skelton of Pine Bluff
2016: Taylor Powell of Fayetteville
2017: Connor Noland of Greenwood
2018: Justice Hill of Little Rock Christian Academy
2019: Jacolby Criswell of Morrilton
2020: Austin Ledbetter of Bryant